Friday, May 6, 2011

Mother's Day Cards


"Nap Time"
A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer,
bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, and...
the future worth living. ~Unknown author
-
I passed out Mother's Day cards at the nursing home church service today.
Those sweet smiles on aged wrinkled faces do good things to my heart. 
 "My name is Bertha.  Yes, I am a mother.  Both my babies
have died."  "Well, I'm so happy to meet you, and I've
brought you something."  I handed her my hand-made card,
hugged her neck and told her "Happy Mother's Day." I had
watched her during church service and heard her
sweet voice as we sang hymns....she had a beautiful smile.
  I met John, an older African-American
gentleman.  I liked his smile also, and when I took hold
of his hand and shared 
a few words, I felt a kinship...he too, a  part of God's family. John
kept his eyes closed most of the service.  When
we began singing Jesus Loves Me, I saw his precious old
lips begin to move....he recognized the song and knew the words.
  Juanita sang with a smile on her face.  She held
her Mother's Day card I had given her,
 tightly in her hand the whole time.
I was deeply saddened when they brought a young seventeen
year old boy to the church service.  A car accident, and he was
completely paralized.  The pastor's words  would encourage
him...."God knows your suffering and pain, He loves you."
Saying these folks blessed my heart today, would be
a real understatement.  
Handing out a few cards, giving hugs and smiles....remembering
their names .....I never feel like I've done enough....As Mother Teresa
once said, "You can't do it all, just do something." 
Have a blessed day....Dee Dee