Friday, March 11, 2011

"A Rose Is A Rose Is A Rose"

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"
is a quotation by William Shakespeare from his
play Romeo and Juliet... meant to say that names of
things do not matter, only what they are.

Juliet:
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title.  Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.
Romeo:
I take thee at thy word:
Call me but love, and I'll be new baptized
Hence forth I never will be Romeo.
-
The post title words came to mind
while taking photos of  this beautiful rose.
I wondered of the saying
"a rose is a rose is a rose"
and came across Shakespeare's
writings from Romeo and Juliet,
referencing a rose.
Albeit, the rose expression,
"a rose is a rose is a rose"
 I found  not Shakespeare's writings, afterall.
 Ah... but  I remember studying his plays
 in my youth and struggling so
to understand.  Perhaps 
our minds were too young to comprehend.
Taking another look at this masterful
english poet and playwright, just
might be a good thing for now.
Where shall I begin?
-
Blessings....Dee Dee