Friday, April 20, 2012

Curio

"Curio"
An object or article valued
because it is strange or rare.
I suppose each generation has
it's own traditions.  My generation
can identify plenty, and many of them are
evidenced throughout my home.
The lighted curio cabinet in my
living room, for example, is one
piece of furniture that definitely
sets my decor apart from this
younger generation. Considered
by some as old fashioned and
out-of-style, there it stands,
 holding my "pretties" and
antique collectibles.
In recent times, I've wondered
at these traditions, asking myself if
the curio collection
is important to me now. I even went
so far as to suggest we do away
with the whole "lot."
I held the plate in my hand,
examining the detailed tiny
pink and delicate flowers,
 and the beautiful gilded trim.  

I  found, I  still had the same
feelings of fondness for this
floral beauty.
.   I had dickered with the dealer,
and he'd  eventually given  me a real good
deal on the plate, saying it was worth
much more than I was willing to pay for it.
  It is still lovely to hold in my hands and,
it is equally pleasing to my eyes.
I'm thinking the "curio cabinet" and
it's inhabitants will continue to occupy
 here at the cottage.
After much soul searching, I've concluded
I'm by all means, still a generational
traditionalist.
Have a sweet ole' day.....Dee Dee
click on photos to enlarge