Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Chinaberry Tree and Miss Jane Pittman


We were here today, to celebrate our grandson's
first birthday.  "Just can't believe how beautiful that
old tree is," I thought to myself as we pulled into the driveway.
 It  just keeps growing and growing.
 I like our daughter's little cottage...but what I like more,
is that big ole Chinaberry tree in the front yard.
Oh, it's a messy thing, but I think worth all the bother.
Even now the tree is beginning to drop tiny golden leaves.
Come winter, the ground will be covered with yellow berries.
In the spring, from March till May, flowers will appear......
with pinkish lavender petals.
Then, all summer long it's one
of the most beautiful sights you'll ever see.
-
This love relationship with the Chinaberry tree for me, goes
way back to my childhood. Growing up in the south, they
were all over the place.
 The Chinaberry tree originated in China and India. 
It was naturalized in the southern  United States, for shade trees.
I'm not the only one to appreciate the Chinaberry tree, however.
 Miss Jane Pitttman's words...
(The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman)
-
There was a Chinaberry tree in the front yard of that house in those days,
and in early spring the branches outside that window always used to become
pale green again. Then before long there would be Chinaberry blossoms.
Then it would be maytime and junebugtime and no school bell mornings
until next September, and when you came out onto the front porch and it
was fair..... there were Chinaberry shadows on the swing and the rocking
chair, and Chinaberry shade  all the way from the steps to the gate.
When you climbed up to the best place in the Chinaberry tree and
looked out across........
-
I hope you can appreciate the size and beauty of the tree from
the photos I've taken today.  Hmmm....does it kinda remind
you of an old grandfather tree...or is it just me?
Click on the photos to enlarge.....if you like.
-
Weekend Blessings... Dee Dee