Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Finally Bananas

In our garden!!
First....tiny flowers bloom and they are 
such pretty colors .......
We could hardly believe our eyes yesterday....
The banana palm has been discreetly living
and growing  in our garden for years,  surrounded by large leafed
Philodendron plants.
I was told, unless you have two banana palm trees,
you will never have bananas, for they need
to cross pollinate. 
Last summer, I found growing, and  almost
hidden from view, another small banana palm tree.
It had most likely come from the roots of the
larger tree. I'm assuming nature took it's course,
for  here we are in January,
witnessing the miracle of banana birth!

Naturally, my camera fell in love with
the little "fruits."

I hear this variety of banana is
small, but quite tasty.

It has been exciting and  interesting
to watch as the pod  burst forth
and small pinkish colored flowers
developed.  In no time at all, 
 tiny green bananas have begun to grow.

I'll post again .....and share in the
process real soon.....Dee Dee
click on photos to enlarge