Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I Remember Real Winter

 A Moonlit Lane

Silvery Moonlight

Forge Valley

Hampstead Looking  Down Heath Street 1881
-
Winter came to our home here in Florida
last evening,  finally.  The only similiarities
to these paintings  however,
is the mere fact that it is cold. 
This past New Year's eve,
while driving home late,
 we drove through sea fog,
creating  a bit of gloom
and mystery to the night, 
reminding 
 me of past northern winters.

The paintings shown here resemble
those memorable times.
Atkinson Grimshaw was a visionary
painter of Victorian England.
Nothing compares to his  beautiful
night scenes. He used rain, mist
gaslight and darkness to evoke mystery.

Hmmm......I'm thinking back now,
....... wrapping  my chilled  hands around a warm
cup of coffee, while looking very closely into
the Grimshaw paintings...........
Ah yes, it's all coming back to me now,
 as I remember real winter.

Stay warm dear family and friends.....Dee Dee