Wednesday, October 6, 2010

.....I walked a country road barefooted


Dirt Roads
I came across a dirt road, and thought I heard it say,
I know you've driven asphalt, but please turn down this way.
And so I answered the dirt road, and walked down it's first mile,
The things I saw as I trudged on, caused me to slow and smile.
-
The dust that played beneath my feet, and swirled so gently round,
Brought a smile unto my weary face, and chased away my frown.
It brought back memories I had of days so long forgotten, when
mostly there were dirt roads, and driving was so slow.
I saw the butterflies long side, on flowers that grew tall,
And saw a rabbit dart across, and heard an eagle's call.
-
I saw great trees that furnished shade, tall reaching for blue sky,
they gave needed cooling from hot sun to all those who passed by.
And then I passed a rundown house, and felt a twinge of alarm,
It won't be long till nothings left, where once there was a farm.
And then I thought of it's future, when the dirt road too is gone,
Encroaching grass along the edge, tells me it won't be long.
-
Until the road has disappeared from all but memory, and I
wished with all my heart the road could tell it's history.
That it could tell me all about and I could hear it say,
"I am the very thing that caused them all to move away."
~Loree (Mason) O'Neill
-
When I finished this little painting, I began
thinking of the last time I walked a country road,
barefooted. Decidedly, it's been a long while.
This beautiful poem by Loree O'Neill
could have been written from my memories.
I hope you've enjoyed it.
-
Blessings.....Dee Dee