Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Have times changed? Maybe just a little.......

1867 First Harper's Bazaar Magazine


Swim Suit Issue 1876


Chain evening bag...1876....still in style today....love it!


Audrey Hepburn 1956....

Harper's Bazaar today.....with Ms Drew Barrymore


-
I bought the new Harper's Bazaar magazine this
past week.  The cover had Drew Barrymore
on it.  For the first time I actually noticed
this pretty young "movie star,"
having gained a healthy "performance  respect"
for her acting in "Grey Gardens."
Funny, we never hear those words
these days...."movie star"....perhaps they
only apply  to so few. 
 I'm an old movie fan kind of
girl  myself, and most of what I see  on TCM,
I can actually call the  actors and actresses "movie stars."
-
But, I've gotten off the subject.
-
As I turned through the pages of my new HP
magazine, it occurred to me that women are
pretty much the same today as they've always been.
We like to look pretty and the way we
 appear to others is very important to us.
Getting compliments are great for our self esteem.
-
In looking over these vintage magazine covers,
I thought of the styles back then and
how the magazines pointed to looking your best.
Women then learned  from magazine pages
 how to wear their hair,
style of dresses to make, shoes to wear
and all their needs to be in style.
-
In looking at my new HP
magazine I realized, as in the past,
today's magazine had  instructions for making
women over.
 Don't we all feel we need help
at some time or another?
Without question,
the magazine publishers have always counted on that.
-
HAIR & MAKEUP must haves & easy how-tos.
FABULOUS at every age....fashion to flatter you.
GET perfect skin.
UPDATE your look......
BEST BAGS & SHOES!
It's all there, page after page of gorgeous clothing,
worn by pencil thin models. New ideas to update my look. Wow!
-
Well, there you are .....expect to see me soon
with the perfect skin, looking fabulous with my
new hair-do, wearing great shoes and carrying
the best ever handbag!
-
Smiles.....Dee Dee
-
In all seriousness...I love the magazine and you will too.
Photo Credits go to Harper's Bazaar....thank you.