Sunday, March 18, 2012

Injured Blue Heron

Finally, we took the time to ride
out to the island, and yes I did
a lot of photo taking. I love
Florida's bird life and today
I saw something that broke my heart.
It's unusual to see a beautiful
Blue Heron in this condition.
Obviously fresh wounds, I
could see open sores on  the
poor thing.
Sadly, I saw that  it had blood on it's beak.


A fisherman close by, had pity on the
great bird and threw it a fish......

In this photo, you can see when the fish went down
the throat.....so funny to watch,
for in no time the fish had left the neck
area of the bird, and headed for
a hungry bird stomach.


As I took photos, I noticed some of the
birds feathers were in disarray.  Here, it
was hopping from rocks to a concrete piling.
Obvious to me, flying was difficult.
My photos were taken moments before
sunset.  Note just a bit of sun splashed
on the Heron's head and  an embankment casting
a shadow on the remainder of it's body.
I left the area concerned for this
magnificent creature and  thinking it was in a good
location.  Most tourist fishing in the area
never  keep the fish they catch.  I have a
feeling the bird will be well fed and
restored  back to good health in no time at all.

I hope your having a good weekend.
Have a blessed Lord's day.....Dee Dee
click on photos to enlarge