Sunday, March 25, 2012

On My Mind This Evening....

The room is fairly quite.
The volume on the television is turned down,
and I'm hearing the deep scruffy voices
 of criminals and occasional gunfire.
The Mister's watching
an old crime and espionage movie.
Taking a break from my sketching,
I'm seated across the room,
  looking at a small book lying on
my desk titled Cassatt.....as in Mary Cassatt.

Do you know of her?  I love
her art and have  read she was referred
to as "strange:...and "a foreign impressionist"
upon her arrival in Paris.
Born in Pennsylvania in l844,
she would leave America, 
 move to France and stay there her whole life.
She would however, boast of being an American.
Ms Cassatt eventually
 would show her work with the likes of Monet, Degas,
Renoir, Sisley, Pissarro and Berthe Marisat.

I think it fascinating to read of great artist,
no matter the degree of their greatness
 or not so greatness. I have several books on
my bookshelves about fine artists. 
They are there to inspire me, I suppose.
 Monet and I could have been
fast friends, my knowing his obvious love
of the garden and flowers.
 I find something quite lovely about his paintings. 
On the other hand, Grandma Moses and
I could easily bond.  I identify with her art, my
roots come from places shown in her paintings.
I once saw her paintings on display and
found I could sit for hours imagining
myself walking in her world.
I do find all the great artist, of
yesteryear, shared something in common.
They found their comfort zone, their style,
and no matter what they painted,  one
could easily identify their work. Moses,
Degas, Monet, Rockwell, just to name a few,
all accomplished this.

I'm trying to imagine the years it takes
to become a great identifiable  painter.  How long
to find that groove that is uniquely yours.....?

I  find it quite remarkable the expansion of
art and art forms  these days. The old Masters
would be quite amazed, don't you think?
Imagine Degas or Renoir using Photoshop!

Well,  I've pondered long enough,
and allowed  my thoughts 
 to splash onto the
keyboard keys, and  to be  transported
out into the blogasphere where you are sitting,
reading and wondering at what I'm thinking.
After all's said and done, I for one will be
quite content, to remain forever a student of art,
Now, back to my sketching 101......

Have  a blessed day everyone......Dee Dee