Wednesday, March 28, 2012

New To The Garden

CLEOMES
Do you know of them?
 I understand they are native to Africa
 which is more than perfect for my tropical garden.
 Accustomed to dry and
sandy soil, these beautiful annual  flowers should
thrive and bloom all summer long.


I did a little research and found Cleomes
are sometimes called "cat whiskers"....
can you guess why?


 Spent blooms should be removed to encourage
rebloom  on the Cleome plants......
I find this to be true of many
flowering annuals.


 One must wear protective thick
 gardening gloves
when planting, for the Cleome plants  have an
abundance of thorns.  

I am entirely pleased with
these "whiskery ole beauties"  
finding they add an elegant
surprise to our small cottage  garden.

I'm glad you stopped by.
May you walk in His tender care today......Dee Dee