Monday, November 21, 2011

Angels


For weeks now, I've  been thinking of
angels.....and why not? 
Didn't the angels foretell the birth of Christ?
Therefore..... they've
 always been there in the midst of
 our celebrating
Christmas.
 Some of the most
beautiful  paintings of angels come from
Byzantine art......and Russian orthodox icons.
I read something interesting today.....
It seems that  
in earlier religious Byzantine art,
angels had no wings.  In order to distinguish
them  from other religious figures they 
were at some point given wings. 
This could  be true, for in the old testament
Bible stories, angels were described
looking like men,
having no mention of wings.

Our choir is
rehearsing for our Christmas
cantata and much of our
music makes mention of angels.
In my weekly Bible study,
we are reading  in the books of Acts
and Hebrews.
Both make mention of angels.....
"Worship Him, all you angels."
Psalm l04:4 verse 7
Not only will the angels worship Him
they will and do serve Him. Jesus is
superior to these created beings.
As you can see, I have good reason
to have angels on my mind.
One other fact and my favorite
about angels....God sends them
to believers for any number of reasons.....
one of those blessings I often mention.
Have a wonderful week.....Dee Dee