Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Beautiful Painting

A self portrait of James Tissot....
born 1836...a French painter and illustrator.

"The Journey of the Magi"
-
 I believe it true that for most of us, we seldom 
take the time to look at and
enjoy religious art.
Each year, at Christmastime, I find
myself browsing about the Internet
in hopes of finding new and
beautiful biblical images
that tell in pictures,
 Matthew and Luke's story
of the shepherds, the Magi,
the Holy Family....
and of the Christ Child.
Google images, the place to seek out and
find, has led me to James Tissot.
I'm a bit overwhelmed by the
beauty of his religious art and
found it fascinating that the chief
labor of his career was the production of
a series of 700 watercolor drawings
to illustrate the life of Christ and
the old testament.
-
Take a close look at "The Journey of The Magi"
painted in 1894.  It is apparent Tissot's
fascination with the east, when
looking at his Old Testament work.
Here, the Magi are traveling near
Jerusalem and Bethlehem. I love how he  captures
the harshness of this part of Israel.
-
I hope you enjoy this beautiful painting,
and that you take the time to explore
more of Tissot's religious art. It is
magnificent and you won't be disappointed.
-
Good blessings for you all......Dee Dee